Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Swedish Visiting Cake

I wanted to try something new for a family gathering on Sunday, so I decided to try this cake. Several people thought it was yummy. I liked it too. I will definately make it again.

Rub the lemon zest into the sugar.

Swedish Visiting Cake

8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Center a rack in oven and preheat to 350 degrees. I used an 8" cake pan brushed with Crisco, and dusted with flour. Pour sugar into a medium bowl. Add lemon zest and blend zest into sugar with your fingers until sugar is moist and aromatic. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Whisk in salt and vanilla and almond extracts. Switch to a rubber spatula and stir in flour. Finally, fold in milted butter. Scrape batter into prepared skillet or pan and smooth top with rubber spatula. Scatter sliced almonds over top and sprinkle with sugar. If using a cake or pie pan, place pan on baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and a little crisp on outside; the inside will remain moist. Since I used a smaller pan (8"), I baked it for 35 minutes. It turned out perfectly.

3 comments:

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

That looks so delicious, I'm going to make it when my mom, who is Danish, comes to visit next month! It looks like her kind of dessert! Yum! Now, how about that famous potato salad recipe? :)

Mooy oh Mooy! said...

That is a dutch treat also...called boterkook - or butter cookie. I have made too!