Sunday, April 26, 2009

Wild Rice


One of my favorite side dishes is Uncle Ben's Wild Rice. I don't really like paying $4 for a small box of rice so I decided to try to find a version I could make. I found one recipe here.
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
1 teaspoon dry chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon dry minced parsley
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons season salt
2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 c Premium Minute Rice
1/3 c dry wild rice
Combine all of the ingredients as listed in Dry Mix in medium saucepan. Add to this water, butter, rice and dry wild rice. Bring to boil. Stir once or twice just to combine. Cover pan with lid tightly. Simmer gently 8 to 10 minutes or until almost all liquid has been absorbed. Makes 3 cups cooked rice.
My notes: I have made this a few times now and haven't always put in all of the spices or salt, but I've always liked how it turned out. I also don't use minute rice, so I have to add a little more water or chicken broth and let it simmer about 20 minutes.

No comments: